Whilst on our five-month trek across Europe, my brother and I conjured up a number of recipes perfect for hikers camping in the wild. We named one such dish, Walker’s Risotto.
Perhaps a far cry from a Michelin star mushroom risotto, this dish does at least have a couple of similarities; it’s stodgy and it fills you up! Here’s how to do it:
- a handful of couscous (weighing scales are ill-advised on a long distance hike)
- a sachet of soup powder
- two glugs of water
- heat water until it begins to simmer.
- turn off burner to save fuel (couscous cooks very quickly, so water doesn’t need to be continually heated)
- pour powdered soup into water and mix
- throw in the couscous. Stir and then cover
- wait two minutes
And it’s as simple as that. Enjoy!